Help Shape the New Long Term Plan for the NHS
As you may be aware the NHS is developing its Long Term Plan (LTP).
During September NHS England is inviting input to shape the LTP.
The deadline for comments is 30 September submitted via an online questionnaire and feedback is invited from all health and care staff, patient groups and local organisations.
The LTP will seek to ensure the NHS continues to innovate and adapt to the needs of all patients. It will address a range of clinical priorities, with three overarching themes covering healthcare throughout people’s lives:
- Mothers & children – including improving maternity services, care for ill & disabled children and addressing issues such as obesity & mental health
- Staying healthy – helping people live longer and healthier lives
- Ageing well – making the right choices and reducing unnecessary hospital stays
The online form invites views on the following questions about harnessing the potential for innovation to transform services and empower staff and patients:
- How can we increase opportunities for patients and carers to collaborate with the NHS to inform research, and encourage and use of innovations (for example new approaches to providing care, new medical technologies, use of genomics in healthcare and new medicines)?
- What transformative actions could we take to enable innovations to be developed, and to support their use by staff in the NHS?
- How can we encourage more people to participate in research in the NHS and do so in a way that reflects the diversity of our population and differing health and care needs?
- What should our priorities be to ensure that we continue to lead the world in genomic medicine?
Following this initial feedback during September, there will be further opportunities to shape the Long Term Plan throughout the autumn.